Whether for personal or medical reasons, many women want to be “liberated” menstruation. Today there are several techniques for this, but what are they exactly? And most importantly, is it really safe?

Why stop menstruation?

The reasons why some women have no more rules are different for each of them. Some want to stop their cycle for a short period, while others want to be rid forever of the discomfort associated with it. Overall, the most common reasons are:

* Avoid pain and physical discomfort associated with rules (cramps, migraines, smells, etc).
* When a woman does not want (or more) children, why “suffer” menstruation?
* Cancel the rules in a timely manner for an occasion or event: travel, sporting event, wedding, etc.

The different methods

Above all, we must understand that no method of stopping rules is not really 100% sure. In fact, taking pills continuously is probably the most effective, as we shall see, but it is not irreversible!Moreover, in most cases, cessation of menstruation is a “side effect”, but it is not the purpose of the method or medication. Here are some of the means used by some women to stop menstruating:

Take the pill continuously

This is the easiest and most common way to stop the menstrual cycle. After 21 pills containing hormones, is chained directly with the next pack without taking the last 7 pills that contain only sugar.

The pill 91 days

This pill, which is also called “extended-cycle pill” is relatively recent. It consists of 3 cycles of 28 days and an additional 7 days (placebo pills) during which bleeding occurs artificial. Minor bleeding (spotting) are possible.

no-periods

Injections

In this case, is injected every 3 months contraceptive medication. In 60 to 70% of women, it has the side effect of menstruation cancel. but you may find yourself among the other 30%! It’s all about luck (or bad luck). In addition, this method of contraception can “disrupt” the cycle for several months after taking: pregnancy can take several months to arrive, even when you stop the injections.

Herbs and teas

Even if it is not scientifically proven that plants can remove or stop menstruation menstrual cycles, many people say that there are ways “natural” stopping rules or at least substantially reduce blood flow. It seems that these methods are inherited from the “medicine” Aboriginal. Some of the plants listed are the result of Baku la (a plant of India), leaves of raspberry, penny royal, of “Philadelphia flea bane ‘(a kind of daisy), among others.

Surgery

The hysterectomy, or removal of the uterus, can sometimes finalize the rules. Again, it is a possible effect, but not required. Approximately 40% of women continue to experience occasional bleeding, but often less abundant. In all cases, women feel “fluctuations” of the cycle due to hormone levels (PMS, pain, cramps, etc.) It is possible to perform a hysterectomy total (uterus + ovaries) that it cancels everything. However, this operation is generally recommended only if specific health problem, not “only” to stop menstruation.

Adverse effects?

Currently, there are no long-term studies that could prove that the cessation of menstruation due to health problems. The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada said in an official study that “there is no reason to believe that the rules allow the elimination of any form of toxin whatsoever, as argued by some opponents of menstrual suppression. ” Some studies have also highlighted that taking birth control pills continuously cancels all or part of some disadvantages, such as PMS, migraines and painful cramps. It would also be effective in reducing the risk of certain cancers. In conclusion, we now have the choice to live (or not) with our menstruation But of course it is important to talk first with a health care professional.