Metal allergies are becoming more common in the population and, although doctors do not yet know all the causes, some recent studies suggest that contact with a piece of jewelry or a piece of metal with infected skin may cause these reactions to say the least unpleasant. Often harmless, allergies to metal, however, can become very uncomfortable and even painful, causing itching where skin touches a jewel. Some people allergic reactions may be more severe, especially in those undergoing orthodontic treatment. They can even be fatal for those who develop a sensitivity to implant after surgery.

Nickel fingered

Metal allergies occur most often in the form of contact dermatitis (a skin irritation which can resemble eczema). This occurs when the skin reacts violently with certain elements. The most common symptoms are localized redness, irritation, inflammation and pain. Exposed too long to the metal allergen, the skin can become darker, thicken and / or present crazing in some places. Widely used in the manufacture of jewelry, buttons, zippers and utensils, nickel appears be the metal that causes more problems because it is the most widely used. But there are also allergic to chromium, silver and even gold, all the more so when these metals are mixed with nickel, which is increasingly common. According to a study in Singapore, nickel allergies are from 14% in 1984 to 20% in 2003. Most of the time, the sweat can accelerate an allergic reaction to nickel, and dermatitis that follows.

allergy-metal

Causes and explanations

According to allergy specialists, the T cells of the immune system are involved in the development of allergies. Experts from the University of Sendai, Japan, have proved that people who suffer from bacterial infections are more likely to develop an allergy to metal, and that if they are in contact with metal during their infection, they may develop a metal allergy later in life.

Protect themselves

The best way to stop this type of allergy is to stop wearing jewelry or other objects that cause reactions in your ceiling and / or painful. Some people may believe that by continuing to wear the jewelry, the skin will eventually “get used”. However, to force back the irritation may become more virulent and cause pain more intense than in the early events. There are some over the counter sprays that when coated on the metal, protect your skin, which will further direct contact with the source of the allergy. An alternative, less expensive: put clear nail polish on your jewelry. It is still suggested to consult a dermatologist in the case of a strong reaction, and prolonged.

Prostheses recommended when an allergy to metals

Metal-ceramic prosthesis without nickel and beryllium

Nickel and beryllium are the two metals that most often cause allergies. The frame of the prosthesis metal-ceramic may be made of an alloy which contains no nickel or beryllium. Most often, it is the precious metal alloys, so gold alloyed with platinum, palladium, silver or copper. Alloys without precious metals are alloys of cobalt, chromium, molybdenum, iron, manganese or silicon.

Prosthesis frame zirconia

The frame of the prosthesis does not contain metal. It does not cause allergic reactions and in addition, it is perfectly aesthetic.

Unalloyed titanium implant

The artificial root (implant) is unalloyed titanium. On the surface of the implant forms a layer of titanium oxide which does not dissolve in body fluids, so it does not cause allergic reactions.

Ceramic inlay gold inlay

During the manufacture of an inlay, it is favorable to use gold because it is perfectly less steel moul. Thus, it can be smoothed carefully on the tooth. Although this is very rare, gold can also cause an allergic reaction. In this case, you should opt for ceramic inlay.

Replacement of the seal

The amalgam material is now considered obsolete and is likely to cause an allergy to metals. Depending on the state of degradation of your teeth, it is recommended to replace your old amalgam fillings with a composite filling or an inlay gold or ceramics.